Happy New Year everyone!
Find Resume Dev team released a new feature on the first day of 2012! Now you do not have to worry about having to remember login credentials for another website. Simply register using your Facebook account. We are always trying to find ways to make your interaction with Find Resume to be a more enjoyable experience. This means if it means it is going to take us days to develop a feature which will save you minutes in your valuable time, that is exactly what we will do. So please try it out and like always please let us know how you get on.
Today we released another new feature for your free online resume. It is all good you having an online resume but what if you want to post it to prospective employers or you wish to keep a copy for Just In Case.
Now you can! You will see a new icon in your list of resumes under the Resume Lists. Please refer to the below image.
When you click on the marked icon you will be prompt to download your resume as a pre-formatted PDF file.
Another change that we released was to remove all the tabs from the "Account Settings" page apart from the "General" tab out a new page called "Resume List". As we believe this is where is the most appropriate location. So if you wander where did all the other tabs disappeared to please open one of your resumes to see all the missing tabs
Also we included 2 icons above the resume editor to help you to see your changes instantly. After saving your changes to your online resume click on the "Download Resume" or the "View Online Resume" icon.
Our team is already working on some exciting new features for the PDF resume. As always we are so eager to find out your thoughts on how else do you think we can improve this feature for you!
Lets see how many more releases before 2012!
One of the features we got a few users suggest was to have the ability to add referees to the online resume. We have added this feature and the update is now live.
We have created a video to show you how to add referees to your free online resume.
Our next release is planned for next week! Keep an eye out for the new features.
We finally managed to go live with our site update. This new release will let you create more than one resume. We all know having a single resume to cater for all the employers is not the most effective way to land that most important interview. So now you can have as many resumes you want under which ever category you prefer. Make sure to select the category most suites you. Employers tend to drill down to the most relevant category. So make sure you specify a sub category in your resume.
Another feature we included is the ability to publish or unpublish a resume from been displayed to prospective employers. We wanted to give you the ability to work on your resume and when you are ready let the outside world see it. So now you can take your time to create your perfect resume over the weekend or during the holiday period.
View our video on this release in our YouTube channel.
While most of us are looking forward to our Christmas holidays and not looking so forward to go back to work there are others who would do anything to get a job. I thought of writing this article for the ones out there who are trying their hardest to start a new job in the new year. We would be more than happy to share all our knowledge we gathered over the past few years as employers and employees.
Most of us been in a side where you had to sit in-front of a person who bombards tricky questions just to make sure whether we are smart enough to join their organisation. Some scrutinize your resume for dates and job responsibilities just to catch you out. Then there are others, who truly wants to know you and nervous as much as you are.
So how do you perform in all these kind of situations? Well the thing is, no one knows. Why you may ask. Because there are all kinds of personalities conducting these interviews. Some take the methodological approach and others take a more fuzzy approach. Some look for the personality others look for skills. Some look for young new blood while others look for domain veterans.
Even though you cannot choose the person who is going to interview you, there are Interview 101 that you ought to do to make sure you have done everything you could do to land your ideal job. Below are the items we managed to compile from our experience and what we look for when we conduct interviews. Therefore this may or may not suite your situation but please be free to read and send us what you have learned from your experience.
- Make sure the gap between jobs are no more than 3 months. If there are gaps then prepare to explain if asked, Why.
- Make sure there are no misspelling in your resume. You can use any word processor application to do this job.
- Make sure to have your last job first in the list because your prospective employer is interested in what you did in your last job or what you are working on now than the job you did after leaving school 10 years ago.
- Make sure NOT to use more than 2 type of font faces unless you are a designer and know what you are doing. Otherwise keep it clean and simple.
- Each company has their own preference on what they want to see as a job application. Unless specified stick to a 2 page resume layout. As much as you want to list all your jobs in the last 15 years please try to restrain yourself in providing a clear concise description about your responsibilities. which will go back to a maximum of up to 10 years.
- Use a colour or 2 to differentiate between types such as Employer Name or Job Title or Skills
- When writing your resume try to use positive vocabulary such as, expert, team player, positive impact, responsible. For a more exhaustive list please visit www.how-to-change-careers.com
- Do not spend too much time on listing your hobbies and your school achievements unless you are applying for your first job.
- Try to have some online presence. There is good online presence and bad online presence. Try to use social media to your advantage. Make all those drunken party pictures private and NOT public everyone to see. These days lot of employers do search prospective employee details online. Use this to your advantage and write blogs to show you have the domain knowledge. Use a free service such as Find Resume to create your free online resume to show you are trying your best find a job and you are persistent and you are up-to-date with the latest online trends.
- The interview is not only for you, it is also for you to interview your prospective employer. Do not be scared to ask other questions apart from the most obvious. Try to be creative in your questions to your prospective employer. When asking questions try to present them as they are not all about YOU but also about them. They want to know whether you are interested in them as well. If you are not sure where to start here are some questions from www.collegegrad.com
We hope the information above will get you to Square One which is ready for an interview. But how you would get through the new software some big players use to filter the best resumes from the poor resumes may be in our next blog post. Always keep looking for new ways to get that face to face interview. If you get the interview that is a triumph in it self. If you did not get the job don't put yourself down. Look at this as new experience to make your self better.
One last thing, always send a thank you letter yes that is right a letter not an email thanking the person who conducted the interview for taking time off their busy schedule to meet up with you. Who knows what could happen...